These are delicious! In fact so delicious you will probably need to double the recipe as they disappear very quickly! Gluten-free, dairy-free, refined-sugar free and full of yummy goodness.
The secret to making these easily is to make sure that the caramel mixture is firm and pliable. I put mine in the freezer for 3 hours. This way they become easy to roll into balls.
Secondly, when coating with the chocolate, I find it easier to place the balls in the chocolate with a spoon and roll then around. If you use your fingers, the heat from your hands tends to soften up the caramel and the chocolate too quickly.
• 1 cup pitted dates . Soak them in hot water for about 5 mins. to soften them.
• 1/4 cup organic coconut milk
• 1/4 cupvirgin coconut oil
• 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
• 1/4 – 1/2 tsp. unrefined salt
• 1/4 cup cocoa powder
• 1/4 cup virgin coconut oil
• 2 Tbs. raw honey
• Soak dates in hot water for about 5 minutes. Drain and then blend the dates, coconut milk, coconut oil and vanilla extract until a smooth paste forms. Add 1/4 tsp. salt, blend, and taste. Add more salt if you wish. Keep adjusting until you get the required amount of saltiness. Place in the freezer until firm and pliable, at least 3 hours.
• Roll teaspoons of the date mixture into balls and put back into the freezer to stay firm.
• Make the chocolate coating: melt and stir together the cocoa powder, coconut oil and raw honey over very low heat until combined. Let the mixture cool until thickened enough to coat the caramel balls. Place in the fridge for a few minutes if it is too runny.
• Using a teaspoon roll each caramel ball into the chocolate and place on a baking sheet lined with baking paper. Sprinkle very lightly with the unrefined salt, and put back into the fridge until the chocolate coating is firm. Store in the fridge.